lördag, maj 19, 2007

Laowai can pay....














As a laowai in Beijing You should always be aware of difference in price for things You buy compared to if a Chinese person buy the same thing. Not just in the "fake markets" where you have to bargain heavy but also in more normal stores.
Today at Landao Computer market we were looking for a keyboard and some ink cartridges for my HP printer. First discussion about the prices for the keyboard. After a while 100 RMB was the price but when he found out that it was for Shi Zhitings, and not my, computer he quick went down to 80 RMB.
I left the shop a little angry and looked for the ink cartridges. Found several places and after a while the price in one of the shops was down to 130RMB for B&W and 160RMB for Color. Went back to first shop and told Shi Zhiting the price. Good - the man in the first shop wanted 180 RMB. But quick we found out that this was for both B&W and Color together.... We said "OK" but he did not have any in his shop so he went away to collect - in the same shop that gave me the price 130+160.... The woman in this shop was his boss.

















Next stop - Ya Show market to collect my shirts from the tailor. At Alice Tailors I never have any problem with the prices. They know me quite well by now and also that I bring many of my friends to their shop. Even the Chinese lady at the photographers said that I got a very low price... -:)

It is time for lunch and on 5th floor there is a Food court with a lot of different (and good) food. We decide to buy in different desks and I also went to buy beer and juice. At the same table we were eating our lunch a Chinese lady was sitting rolling napkins around shop sticks. She started to talk to Shi Zhiting and told her that next time we should eat at this food court she should "put me at a table" and buy the food herself - not showing that we was together. "This will give You half the price - the price on the pricelist on the wall is "laowai-price".
She turned to me and said in english: "Sorry Sir..."

Yes, this is the way it is and I think we have to accept this. Because - "Laowai can pay"!